Thursday, May 08, 2008

Ruminations on the South Pacific for 2008

I shall apologize in advance for the length of this entry:

As many of you know, I travel to the South Pacific every year to share the game of basketball and the love of Christ with youth throughout the island nations. In 2005, we visited Palau; in 2006 we visited Saipain; and in 2007 we visited Chuuk and Pohnpei.

This year we'll be visiting Kosrae and Yap.

Each year we've had between 250 - 3oo kids participate in a free three day basketball clinic. Prior to the clinic, we work with the islands' national teams, teach them some skills and fundamentals, but more importantly, we share our lives and the Gospel.

During the past three years, we've met the governors or Presidents of each country, spent time with other government representatives, and forged relationships with Olympic Committee members. We have prayed with and for the government representatives, for the national team members, and the children of the island.

It has been a wonderful three year mission journey. We've seen numerous children (and adults) surrender their lives to Christ. 

I am constantly amazed at the opportunities God has presented to me and our team during our trips. Along with getting to play basketball and model positive character for the youth of the islands, I have had some unbelievable experiences.

I have:
  • snorkeled in the bluest of blue waters, 
  • snorkeled above World War II aircraft in the Truk lagoon, 
  • touched a submerged submarine chaser (it's a ship)
  • ate mangrove crab, 
  • gone deep sea fishing for tuna (and hooked a marlin accidentally), 
  • parasailed, 
  • golfed at Lau Lau Bay, 
  • visited the town of Dan Dan,
  • swum in a pool at the bottom of a waterfall, 
  • hiked through the forests of Pohnpei, 
  • seen the Rock Islands, 
  • participated in traditional island church services, 
  • tried seafood rice for breakfast (quite yummy),
  • revolted at the smell of tuna soup, 
  • spent time with local woodworking craftsmen in Pohnpei, 
  • tried betelnut, 
  • visited Banzai and Suicide Cliff, 
  • been interviewed on Saipan radio,
  • been to Babeldaob,
  • had a cockroach climb into my boxer shorts (while I was wearing them),
  • screamed like a little girl when a cockroach climbed into my boxer shorts (while I was wearing them),
  • been known as "Mike Crown" in the newspaper,
  • had a nine hour layover in Japan,
  • thanked the Lord for McDonald's,
  • visited a waterpark and saw about 1,000 Japanese tourists in speedos (ouch),
  • visited the ruins of Nan Madol, 
  • spent time with the incredible youth of Chuuk High School
This list is by no means exhaustive. It serves as a wonderful reminder of how awesome our God is -- I once felt the game of basketball was taken from me. I was wrong. God gave it back to me in a big way and has used my skills to share his Word. 

I am blessed.

I wonder what He has in store for us next month?

0 Comments: