Thursday, March 20, 2008

August Rush

A couple of evenings ago we watched August Rush. 


Do not miss this fine little family movie. With strong performances from Freddie Highmore, Keri Russell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and Terrence Howard, this movie is sure to charm your socks off.  The story of an orphan (I won't spoil you with background information) who discovers he is a musical prodigy, August Rush is a movie both kids and adult can appreciate.

The movie does has an odd performance from Robin Williams (is it possible to bottle up his frenetic energy?) Named "Wizard," Williams does constrain his overacting and keeps it in line with what our character expectations are. Plus, he's exactly the right actor for the role.

What you'll want to hear is the music. With a fantastic score and original songs, August Rush isn't only fun to watch--it's fun to listen to. I found myself tapping my foot more than once -- I even replayed one terrific scene involving Highmore and a guitar.

Sure there are feel-good moments, but they don't cake them on like a sappy Hallmark card. For a nice family movie, I recommend August Rush.

0 Comments: